Home
Introduction
Parish Council
Village Hall
History
Forthcoming Events
Clubs & Societies
Gallery
Aerial Photos
Old Photos
Feedback
Contact Us
Links

Grateley Windmill (1 of 2)

Yes Grateley had a windmill! It was located near to Highlands on the site now occupied by Grateley Business Park. We are working on a date for this photo, but we do know that the sweeps were removed from the mill in 1899, so the best we can do so far is early 1900s.

From Stan Angell
The 1883 Ordnance Survey shows "....one house on the main road and a windmill (corn)". Kelly's Directory 1889 states "Local traders with premises at the station include Albert Shearer, 'miller (steam), corn, hay, straw and coal merchant'" This virtually confirms our surmise that originally, milling was done by power of a windmill and then replaced by a steam engine with boiler, the chimney for which appears in this photo. The changeover took place sometime between 1883 and 1889.

photo source: Private Collection

Previous  Back to Indexnext

Copyright © 2010 - Grateley Parish Council