The history of our village can be dated back to over two thousand years ago when people lived in the pre-historic hillfort at nearby Quarley Hill. In the intervening years the Romans have lived here, King Athelstan enacted the first code of laws in Grateley, and various Lords of the Manor have come and gone. The railway in Victorian times brought work and wealth to the village and turned Grateley into a communication centre for the local area.
This rich history is reflected in the buildings within the village. From the 13th Century Church, 16th Century farm cottages, 17th and 18th century manor houses, and what seems to have been a major development period for the village in Victorian times.
We cannot do justice to Grateley's history on this one page, so local resident Michael Longyear has taken it upon himself to write a more detailed report on the history. The table below shows links to the series of articles written by Michael recording a brief history of Grateley from 929AD until current times. As well as looking back at the period of our village history, he records in some detail later village life as it comes to terms with two world wars and transition to modern day living.
| Part 1|| Pre-History, Romans, Saxons and Death of Athelstan|| 43AD-1066 |
| Part 2|| The Medieval Period, The Church of St. Leonard|| 1066-1485|
| Part 3|| The Lords of the Manor|| Through Time|
| Part 4|| The Tudor Period and The Stuart Period|| 1485-1714|
| Part 5|| The Georgian Period|| 1714-1837|
| Part 6|| The Victorian Period (1 of 4)|| 1837-1901|
| Part 7|| The Victorian Period (2 of 4)|| 1837-1901|
| Part 8|| The Victorian Period (3 of 4)|| 1837-1901|
| Part 9|| The Victorian Period (4 of 4)|| 1837-1901|
| Part 10 || Early 20th Century|| 1902-1919|
| Part 11|| Between the Wars|| 1919-1939|
| Part 12|| The War Years|| 1939-1946|
| part 13|| Modern Grateley|| 1947-1951|
| Part 14|| Elizabethan Period (1 of 2)|| 1951-1960|
| Part 15|| Elizabethan Period (2 of 2)|| 1960-1977|
| Part 16|| Modern Lords of the Manor|| 1930-2007|
GRATELEY, A Short History of a Hampshire Village
This book of some 120 pages of A5, printed by Paul Bulpitt Ltd., Andover is the merging of the historical notes that were produced for the Grateley Web site.
The notes were produced from scratch each month to create an interest in the site by virtue of the serial nature of the publications. Interest was much greater than anticipated and it was suggested that a book be produced with the notes expanded where possible.
The booklet was completed and printed in 2004 and offered for sale in the village shops and Ottakar's bookshop. It was received favourably by many in the village and elsewhere to the extent that the small run of printing had to be repeated. Some copies are still available at £7.50 inclusive of postage and packaging (UK Only - for outside UK please check rates with Michael ).
The booklet fills in many of the gaps that were evident in the early submission to the Grateley web site with much input from many of the inhabitants of Grateley and scouring of the Libraries of Andover, Winchester and Salisbury. The Hampshire Record Office, Winchester and the Internet were great sources of information.
Additional Historical Articles
Over the years the Grateley website in it's former incarnations has received additonal submissions relating to Grateley and it's history. For the interest of visitors we have included links to these articles below.
We shall remember them
Stephen Pope has submitted an article on those soldiers from Grateley who died during the the two World Wars. He has researched each name as far as he can and his results may be found by clicking here. The details are by no means complete and any visitor who has additional information (or even a photograph) on any of these men can Contact Us and we will gladly update the page.
During his further research Stephen found more information on Archibald Hoare which you can find here
The Oberver Corps in Grateley
Stephen Pope was lucky to catch an exhibition mounted by the Royal Observer Corps Museum Trust in Andover Library on the role of the Royal Observer Corps.
"Through the good offices of Neville Cullingford, Hon Curator of the ROC Museum, I am now aware of the sites of the two observer posts and the names of the people who manned them. The first post was situated in the field south of Monxton Road roughly opposite the Dell. The second was at the station end of the parish just past the Old Stockbridge Road junction with the B3084."
The following information is submitted with the kind permission of Neville Cullingford.
A Grateley family connection
Grateley Online received an e-mail from Paul Dodgshun in Gloucester enquiring about a relationship between 5178314 L/Cpl Ernest Allen Ford, Gloucestershire Regiment and the Ayres family. L/Cpl Ernest Ford, bachelor, died in Singapore in 1931. His service records show that his next of kin was Mrs Ayres of Gunville Cottages, Grateley.
Michael Longyear took it upon himself to look into this and you can see the reply he made to Mr Dodgshun by clicking here.
William Benson Earle
- 1740 – 1796 Benefactor to St Leonard's Church Grateley and the people of the parish. Michael Longyear has written an article on the life of William Benson Earle which visitors can read by clicking here
The mystery of the Grateley Pond altar pieces
The finding of some altar pieces in Grateley village pond in the 1990’s created a minor stir thinking that it may be some ancient treasure. This idea was soon discarded when the date on the damaged altar pieces was examined. It had been thought that the pieces found in Grateley Pond have been stolen from St Leonard’s Church in Grateley as there had been thefts of furniture etc in the past. It soon became clear that this also was not the case when the inscription was found to refer to GB Allen and Pembroke College. Michael Longyear has researched this fascinating story and you can see his results by clicking here