The History of Grateley
Part eight: Victorian Period 1837-1901 (3 of 4)
Grateley was not functioning in isolation at this time and I thought that it might be interesting to see how the contiguous parishes compared some twenty or more years into the reign of Queen Victoria. There seemed to be quite a bit of overlap of the prominent people. E.g. Pyle set up a charity for both Wallop and Grateley. Mrs Sheppard seems to have been involved in financing the schools of Amport and Quarley. The major landowners seem to have bits of most of the surrounding parishes in their possession.
Grateley had become a little more prominent with the facility of the station and probably had more interaction with the surrounding parishes because of this.
The parish, comprised 1541 acres occupied by 154 parishioners, extended to the borders of Wiltshire. The land at this time was owned mainly by Mrs Mary Ann Pickering, Mrs C.L.Hayes (sister to Lord Lawrence) and the Marquis of Winchester.
The church (St. Leonard) is an ancient structure with a tower and two bells and a clock. I do not think that the other parish churches had clocks. The church was repaired in 1850 (£400) and the clock bought in 1858. The rector, Rev. Christopher Dodson, resided in Penton Mewsey, where he was also rector, The Parsonage in Grateley being a small, dilapidated house.
The parish did not seem to be well served with many facilities or contain many tradesmen.
John Cutting, who was also a shopkeeper, ran the Plough Inn but there is no mention of the Station Inn at this time.
The only two farmers mentioned are Wm. Boutcher and Mortimer Gale.
The school, built in 1845 at a cost of £210, had Sarah Griffiths as Schoolmistress.
James McLees was the Stationmaster.
Richard William Bloxham Fiander, carpenter, parish clerk, church warden and finger-in-most-pies man was quite prominent.
There is no note of any building of merit, unlike the other parishes.
Park House was an extra parochial Inn near the borders of Wiltshire at the crossroads of the Marlborough to Salisbury and Amesbury to Andover roads 9 miles West of Andover. It belonged to Wm. Gilbert, of Shipton Bellinger, and occupied by Geo. Gearing.
A small village in a parish of some 2100 acres with about 140 acres of woodland and plantation. The population of 179 was served by a school, blacksmith, shop and pub (the Crown) and church (St Michael). The church had a wooden tower and three bells at this time and the Rector was Rev. Charles Mackie who had 4.5 acres of Glebe and an old Rectory House. The Marquis of Winchester who was also Lord of the Manor, which he held of St Katherine's Hospital, London.
The Parish School was endowed in 1802 with £200 3% consols by Rev. Thomas Sheppard, D.D. and Richard Cox, Esq. Mrs Sheppard built the school after Dr Sheppard's death.
Wm. Edwards ran the Crown Inn and was also the shopkeeper although Mary Bray also ran a shop.
Matilda Holloway was the Blacksmith.
There were three farmers; Humby, Judd and Robinson.
Little seems to have changed over the years other than the loss of school and pub.
A pleasant village near the source of the Pillhill brook. The parish comprised about 1000 acres and a population of 250 served by two pubs, the White Hart and the Black Swan, the school, shoemakers, tailors, saddler, blacksmith and farrier, brewer and miller, two shopkeepers and the church, rebuilt in 1853 by subscription of the Rector and his friends.
The church was a small neat structure in the Early English style with two bells and a wooden spire.
The school, built in 1847 had Ann Lovelock as schoolmistress.
The blacksmith was a woman, Mary Wild, as in the parish of Quarley.
Nearly all of the parish was the property of the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge who were lords of the manor.
Once again the village has changed little with relatively little development to the present day.
This is one of the larger parishes close to Grateley. The parish contained 745 inhabitants and 4200 acres of land including the tithings of Sarson and East Cholderton. The Marquis of Winchester owned the greater part of the Parish: the remainder owned by the Rev. Wadham Knatchbull of Cholderton Lodge, Robert Routh of Amport Firs, and a few smaller owners.
The church (St. Mary) is an ancient structure with a tower and five bells. The Vicar, Rev. George Schiffner, M.A. had a good Vicarage House and 69 acres of Glebe and annexed to it the vicarage of Appleshaw.
There was also a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated in the Sarson tithing.
More varied trades in addition to the school, post office, shops and two pubs served the community. There were also a miller (Sarson Mill), brewers and maltsters, bricklayers, blacksmiths, butcher and carpenter.
The school was built in 1816, financed by Mrs Sophia Sheppard.
The White Hart Inn was run by John Batchelor, the Ship Inn by Mrs Mason and the White Horse Inn by David Judd.
As the Marquis of Winchester owned part of Grateley Manor at one time he is worth a mention. The 14th Marquis of Winchester and Earl of Wiltshire was born John Paulet in Amport in 1801. He was the premier marquis of England, having succeeded his father in 1843 and was Colonel of the North Hants Militia and Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire from 1852.
Amport House was built about this time, replacing the ancient mansion and on a better site. It was a large and handsome mansion of Elizabethan style of white brick and stone dressings set in a park of some 200 acres.
Wallop is variously translated as ‘a fresh steam' and ‘well in the side of the hill'. The Earl of Portsmouth was, at one time, a major landowner in Grateley and is therefore of interest. The early Saxon ancestors of the Earl of Portsmouth adopted the name, Wallop. The family descended from an ancient Saxon family, who possessed and derived their name from Over Wallop, as early as the time of Edward the Confessor.
Matthew de Wallop had the custody of Winchester Castle in the reign of King John. The family served their monarchs with distinction through the ages, culminating in John Wallop being created Baron Wallop and Viscount Lymington in 1720 and Earl of Portsmouth in 1743.
Was a large village with a population of 952 in the parish of over 7000 acres, including the hamlet of Middle Wallop. The parish was divided into three manors: Nether Wallop, Lord Bolton; Fifehead, W.Pothecary, Esq. and Heathman Street, James Reeves Esq. The Earl of Portsmouth and others had freehold estates within the parish.
The church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure with a tower (rebuilt in 1703) with five bells. The church was repaired in 1854 at a cost of £800. The Vicar was Rev. Arthur Howard Ashworth, M.A who had a good vicarage, built in 1790 and improved at the same time as the church repairs. The vicarage was in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of York Cathedral.
The parish school was built in 1838 and enlarged in 1854, at the same time as the improvements to the church and vicarage. There is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
Wallop House, the seat of Rev. Walter Blunt, M.A., was a neat mansion with pleasant grounds.
Benjamin Cole ran the George Inn, but there was also a beer house in the Post Office run by John Leabourn, and Chas. Barnes ran the Five Bells.
There were 15 farmers, many of whom in addition to being farmers were also brewers and maltsters.
John Day was the well-known racehorse trainer from Danebury stables.
There was an Excise Officer (Wm. Lawrence) living in Middle Wallop and the tailor (Jas. Hendley) was also the sexton.
There was, once again, more diversity in trades than Grateley. There were butchers, blacksmiths, carpenters, shoemakers and shopkeepers in addition to carriers to Grateley Station, Winchester, Andover and Salisbury.
This parish of over 4500 acres had a population of 555 and stretched from Middle Wallop to the Hampshire Gap and included Tower Hill.
The Earl of Portsmouth owned the soil and was Lord of the Manor, but there were many small freeholds belonging to various families.
The Church (St, Peter) was an ancient structure with a tower and four bells. The Rector was Henry Fellowes, M.A. who had a large Rectory House, which was rebuilt in 1853 at a cost of £1600.
A small Baptist Chapel was built in 1841.
John Hindes who was also a maltster ran the White Hart Inn.
There were four shopkeepers, two of whom were bakers.
About 12 farmers worked most of the parish with the exception of about 400 acres of open heath land.
The school was built in 1853 and supported by the Rector. The Schoolmistress was Mary Ann Kemp.
The Wallops are the parishes most changed due to the expansion of the hamlet of Middle Wallop by the Ministry of Defence to the existing airfield and associated housing and military quarters
All text and images©Grateley Parish Council